Tuesday, January 20, 2009

That's the Ticket !

Washington, DC- Well it's finally here. A story I've been covering for 4 years gets its grand crescendo today. Barack Obama is sworn in as the 44th President of the United States. This will be my third inauguration and it doesn't compare to the others I attended.

You'll see I literally have a front row seat (section 2). I left DC last night following a reception for the National Association of Black Journalist, Witness to History. While I'm not the oldest one at the reception veterans of past campaigns were there.

I had to make a critical decision about how I was going to get into the district. All the outlying metro parking lots were full by 7:00 am (yea, I got a late start). With the sun coming up those wanting prime spots were on the mall staking out positions. I decide to take the red line in from Silver Spring.

I find there is mosaic of people going to this event. The most excited maybe those who saw the beginning of the civil rights movement and worked to end "Jim Crow." People are orderly but determined. It's cold today in DC. People are dressed warmly but this will not sway the anticipation. They've come from all over the nation for this event. "I can't believe I'm witnessing this," is a common phrase.

People have their cameras and will click photos of each other. People will be talking about this for generations. The TV audience will surpass events like the superbowl.

I've now got the get in the security line I don't know if I'll be able to post during the event because of the blackout of wireless devices in the area I'm in. But I'll be back on line following the event.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home